Last week I attended Level 4 of the Olds College Master Spinner Program. I heart yarn school! It’s so awesome to meet other fibre addicts from all walks of life and to inspire and be inspired. It was a busy but fulfilling time.
Here are my samples of the yarns we dyed with acid dyes as a group. We all had to provide yarns (which we preferably spun) of a certain length and amount of skeins for each project. We dyed our skeins in plastic baggies so that we could use one dye-pot and didn’t have to continue to reheat! So efficient! My skeins were 2-ply of one mohair singles with one Wensleydale wool singles, and the dyes we used were primary colours and it was the way we mixed them that created the varied colours.
Colour Wheel. We were divided into 4 groups for this one, and we were each assigned 3 colours. My group’s colours were blue, blue green and green:
Percentage Dyes. Two groups for this one. My group was in charge of green. Percentage pertained to amount of dye per weight of fibre. From left to right for each dye we did 0.1%, 0.25%, 0.5% and 1%:
Ombre Dyeing. This is where the skeins are all put in the same dye bath but were removed after certain lengths of time to create variations in saturation. From bottom to top, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes and 30 minutes. We may have to redo this one however as the gradiants were too slight:
Injection Dyeing. The top skein had been wound really tightly and folded on itself to create a snug spiral which I wound my syringes of dye around. I wound the bottom skein around my thumb to create a tight little center pull ball, and then I gently injected dyes around the outside. When I unwound the ball to return to skein form, I was delighted to find that the inside barely received any dye while the outside looked like confetti:
I didn’t get a lot of pictures while at Fibre Week because my camera spasmed and said I had an E18. So yesterday, after looking around the internet and then calling the jerkface guy at my former favourite camera shop who told me I should just get a new one no matter how I felt about my lens, I tried taking it apart but couldn’t get one screw out, whacked it a couple times on my ironing table, returned the screws, batteries and memory card to their rightful positions, turned it on and it worked again! E18 in Canon cameras means that the lens has either gotten something in its gears or it’s dislodged somehow. I love how sometimes all you need to fix something is give it a good whack!